Building an OSCE Youth Network in Georgia
Call for participants
With 57 participating States in North America, Europe and Asia, the Organization for Security and Co-operation in Europe (OSCE) is the world’s largest regional security organization. It promotes a unique approach to security that encompasses politico-military, economic / environmental and human aspects (the OSCE “three dimensions of security”). The OSCE also conducts many practical activities in various countries and offers a forum for political dialogue on a wide range of issues relating to European security.
This project aims at promoting dialogue between the OSCE and Georgian civil society, in particular youth. It is developed in partnership by the OSCE and the Helsinki Citizen’s Assembly – Georgian National Committee (hCa GNC). A number of young leaders – such as students, academics, NGO representatives – will be invited to participate in the programme which will take place in Tbilisi from June to December 2014. Participants will be expected to participate in a cycle of briefings and events to learn and actively discuss OSCE values and work on security in Europe. The objective of this initiative is to facilitate the establishment of a youth network, focussing on the OSCE, which will in the long run participate in other OSCE activities and develop initiatives related to OSCE topics.
The synopsis of the program:
- An orientation course will be delivered by an OSCE representative to mark the official start of the project;
- A cycle of thematic meetings will be organized. Each meeting will focus on a specific topic, relating to security in Europe. Experts from the OSCE, Georgian officials and independent experts will be invited to present and engage in discussions with participants;
- Selected participants will be asked to contribute to various publications (the OSCE Security Community Magazine, Youth OSCE website, social networks etc.);
- A simulation exercise of the OSCE Permanent Council (Model OSCE) will be organized in Tbilisi to conclude the cycle;
- Three participants will be invited to participate in a study trip to Vienna.
The programme will start in June 2014 and end in December 2014. All participants will be informed in advance about the date and venue of each meeting conducted within the project. The main activities of the programme will take place in Tbilisi; some meetings may take place in other regions of Georgia.
Profile of the participants
Approximately 60 youth from across Georgia and abroad will be selected by the team representing the OSCE and hCa GNC.
- Young leaders / activists / students / researchers / NGO members between ages 18-35;
- Residing in Georgia or any other country / region of the OSCE area;
- English language competency;
- Have an interest and basic knowledge of the OSCE’s scope of work and OSCE organizations and structures;
- High motivation to learn about the OSCE;
- Availability to actively and regularly participate in the OSCE Youth Network and in all activities of the programme.
Participation of young people with at least 2 years’ experience and proven track record of involvement and engagement within their community (i.e. involvement in the NGO sector, student’s unions, local and national political parties, online democracy and human rights associations, political parties and NGOs) is encouraged. The participation of vulnerable and marginalized groups (minorities, people with disabilities etc.) is encouraged as well.
Gender balance, as well as geographic diversity, variety of experiences, cultural backgrounds and organisations will be ensured.
A short list will be established on the basis of the applications received. Short-listed candidates will be invited for an interview ahead of the final selection (including Skype-interview).
Application procedure and selection of participants
- All candidates should apply by filling in the online application form available at:
before the 31 May 2014.
- And by sending their CV to email@example.com (Please indicate in e-mail subject name/surname and OSCE YOUTH e.g: ,,Naniko Gadelia OSCE Youth’’)
All applicants will be notified of the results of the selection process by the first week of June 2014.
Deadline 31th May 2014
All applications should be filled in online!